I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Second Annual NaNoWriMo Procrastination

I am not doing NaNo again this year because I am a horrible person.

Last year was when I first found out about NaNoWriMo about 2 weeks before it actually happened and so I was a big wuss and like OH NO I'M NOT PREPARED I CAN'T DO IT. But I did tell myself that I would spend the whole year planning a rough idea of a plot and then I could do NaNo the next time.

It's the next time and I can't do it.

When I made the claim that I was going to do NaNo in 2010 I had not expected that the life as I knew for 20 years would change and that I would be going to a big fancy regular college and working and actually having a set schedule to live by. I've just been put into this schedule and I don't have a grasp on time management yet.

So my reasons are more legit than last year. I work 5 days a week on top of school plus I have my theater tech class that requires 36+ hours of outside school work so essentially I am working every day. Most of my "free time", that is not working, not being at school, not doing homework, and not doing anything essentially, is spent between the hours of 7:30-11:10 pm. Last year I had also not planned on reading 50 books in a year but after realizing I could do it I started that this year.

If I were not reading 50 books in a year I would more than likely be doing NaNo this year.

BUT OH WELL!

So what I AM going to do is write stuff ANYWAY because NaNo is about writing in general rather than writing to a certain point. I'm not going to keep track or anything I'm just going to gather writing "skills" and confidence. I DO enjoy writing. At least in the form of typing. I just like the feeling and sounds associated with typing really fast and putting thoughts in print as they come to you. (i hate writing by hand because I always get cramps in my hand)

So here are things that I am going to give up for 30 days November 2011:
  • Recreational Reading (meaning not for school)
  • A decent amount of internet use. Can't give it ALL up but I can cut back.
  • Whatever social life I happen to have at the time. I will probably go out at least once in the month to relieve the tension or whatever, though.
  • Becoming intoxicated. If all things go to plan then I will not have problems with this in the FIRST place by next year.
  • Playing guitar. It's going to SUCK but I spend lots of free time doing it.
  • Doing stuff with people from work. It seems that I am hanging with them more and more so I will need to cut back come next year.
  • And the most important thing I will not do for 30 days next November is I WILL NOT PROCRASTINATE ABOUT NANOWRIMO!!!!
I like structure so I'm going to have to plan things out like this so I am comfortable getting myself into this situation. I plan on getting the No Plot? No Problem! book from the NaNo website store. (As i'm thinking about it I should probably get in the habit of using correct punctuation and capitalization when writing "formal" things, like blogs for starters). I had some notes written out last November when I had started planning this year's novel but I'm probably going to scrap them because I generally do not like something I have created after it has existed for a while. This is going to be hard for me but I need this, in a way. I have probably never done anything for 30 days straight other than becoming intoxicated and reading Infinite Jest. I have already embraced that NaNoWriMo is a great thing and I really am jealous I can't find the time to do it this year. But I'm going to do what I CAN. And what I CAN do is attempt to do more than nothing.

1 comment:

  1. you could try composing short stories or essays all month to deal with the scrapping issue. i'm like that too, i'm already over my plot this year. and when i write songs i usually work on a bunch at a time and go back and forth between them. it takes longer to get one thing done but i'm less likely to get frustrated and throw something away.

    ADVICE

    ReplyDelete

You should definitely comment. Since there's not view count I dont know who/how many are actually reading this.