I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

BEDN Day 10- Ok, so sometimes things get real...

Like this project. It's obvious that it will be nearly impossible to decently blog every day in a given number of days.

Today, my brother is sleeping in front of my computer. I cant wake him up because he has trouble falling asleep. So i cant sit in my domain and think for a while and I have to use this computer. It's not very good for deep thinking stuffs.

Today I got super inspiration for #nanowrimo 2010 out of nowhere while sitting in the hall at school. I wrote two pages of things I came up with including about 2 major plot points but Im looking for more overall theme. see, those of you that are doing nano probably think that im putting too much thought and effort into it already. but the way I see it, the more I play it out like this the more comfortable I will be and hopefully I'll easily glide through it.

Anyways, this is all I can manage today. At least it's something. Im going to go read for 1000000000 hours and re-read "ballads of suburbia" by stephanie kuehnert and be all excited because it's amazing.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't put too much of your soul into your nano plot this early. I know you think it's just planning, and that's how I felt, too.

    I heard about nanowrimo in Septemberish of 2007. I immediately started thinking about plots and such and came up with something semi-decent. I got bored of it halfway through November and gave up with a little more than 16,000 words.

    I decided that the following year, I would start planning in, say, May. That sounded good. Six months of preparation. Awesome.

    I sort of used a story I came up with a few years back, and basically went off of that. I'm not a plot person, I'm a character person, so basically I spent the six months developing my two main characters. By the time November rolled around, I had more than enough information about either of them, but I didn't want to write it all down. I wasn't discovering them with November, I already had them figured out. It wasn't fun. I wasn't playing the discovery game that's so great about nanowrimo. I had to come up with ridiculous plot points and such. I did a bad job at letting the imaginary reader know who the characters were, since I already knew them so well.

    The thing about writing is it's easier to write what you /don't/ know. Because it's easy to assume that your audience doesn't know, either. So you can learn while your audience learns. And you can make stuff up.

    So yeah. This year I came in with nothing more than a character name and a basic, basic idea of a plot. I know my characters more intimately than I knew last years because I've spent only ten days with them so far. We know we have to get to the heavy stuff first, because we only have 30 days together before their story ends! I've been in their heads. I know what they want. I know who they are. I know how to write them.

    Does that make sense? Probably not. Oh well advice is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um...i have n idea what to wirte for this comment. i just kinda skimed your blog tday and tired adn cant think . lksdfnoa ....uh.....????idek.????bye..

    ReplyDelete

You should definitely comment. Since there's not view count I dont know who/how many are actually reading this.