I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Sunday, November 1, 2009

BEDN Day 1- One Year Nerdfightersary!

Today, one year ago, was the day I became a nerdfighter. I subscribed to Vlogbrothers just over a year ago. Today is the day I bought Looking for Alaska one year ago. Little did I know that John and Hank would be visiting my city in 2 days (november 3rd, 2008). I did not find out until 3 days AFTER it happened. I had JUST subscribed to Vlogbrothers and I didnt yet know what was going on. I didn't know they were on a tour. This is a huge regret now.

Becoming a Nerdfighter I took on many new things. I was a fairly nerdy person in grade school. It sucked so I tried to change myself in high school. I kinda of took on a different persona for a while. After becoming a nerdfighter i sort of gave in to repressed nerdiness from grade school. It has changed the way I think. I now value things like intelligence much more.

A HUGE change is the amount that i have been reading. I've read more books in the past year than I did in the previous 10 years of my life combined since I have become a nerdfighter. I used to read about a book every two months or so and have now reached up to a maximum of one book per week.

I have gained so much from becoming a nerdfighter. The whole youtube community to start with has inspired me to do lots of great things. All the different youtubers that are involved with nerdfighters feel like a sort of home on the internet. Throw in the way to socially network with these people (twitter, facebook, skype) and you're in for a completely different way of interacting with people.

And the QUALITY of these people is astonishing. Lots of nerdfighters seem to find that they become better friends with other nerdfighters online than people they know in real life. I can easily agree to this. Theres just some level of intelectualism and love for "nerdy things" like reading and certain movies and stuff.

The stuff that comes to be as a result of nerdfighters blow my mind all the time. One mentionable thing is DFTBA records and it's sort of second sub-community within nerdfighters.

Every aspect of nerdfighters flows together to create something that has completely changed the person I am. Its very hard to explain though. It has given me so much. I cant even believe the things that have ended up in my life as a result of making the decision to becoming a nerdfighter. Ive met so many amazing people, ive branched out and tried new things, ive taken on many new loves of things I havnt seen, watched, heard, or done before.

The whole nerdfighter thing by itself isn't even what amazes me the most, its the huge amount of other things that changed in my life. Nerdfighters kind of rippled and affected many different parts of me. Such as twitter. Theres no way I would have twitter if I wasnt a nerdfighter. And if you use twitter, you know the kind of amazing endless crazy kind of world it can be. Other things like dailybooth and even this blog that kind of let me broadcast myself to other people via various forms of creative outlets. I could just about write a blog in itself for each subject of my life that nerdfighters has influenced or brought to life.

Such as the people i know because of skype. It is impossbile to explain how amazing friends through skype has become. They're like people that you can relate to more than anyone else you could ever know in regular life because they're all here in this community BECAUSE we are so compatible with each other through our nerdy interests.

Nerdfighters is like steroids for your mind on some levels.

If you would like a bit more of a synopsis of certain events that have come to pass as a result of me becoming a nerdfighter, i'd like to direct your attention to another blog post where I recently
discussed the difference in my life starting with having slow internet, going through becoming a youtuber and ending with where I am with youtube and all the people I know through the internet: http://paulsaysthings.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-i-came-to-be-where-i-am-now-on.html

3 comments:

  1. my life and the way i view things has changed sooo much since i became a nerdfighter/youtuber, its crazy. but i love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a NerdFighter is probably one of the best choices I've made in a long time. I LOVE IT! :)

    ReplyDelete

You should definitely comment. Since there's not view count I dont know who/how many are actually reading this.