I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

BEDN Day 4- I swear no Dream Theater this time. This is about telemarketers

One of the things I cant stand the most is telemarketers. We seem to have more than usual call our house ALL THE FREAKING TIME! It just really annoys me because the ones that we usually get are just asking for donations. There are many reasons why I hate telemarketers.

1. If it's someone doing a survey, they'll just start telling you about the survey and make you sit on the phone for 5 whole minutes, THEN explain that you need to be 18 to do the survey and you have to hang up. I had this problem many times before I was 18. Now if I say hello and they just keep talking and dont let me speak I hang up on them.

2. They call at the most horrible times. It's always during something that I dont really want to stop doing to go answer the phone. This is especially bad when we get a few different ones calling in the same day.

3. They pronounce my last name wrong almost every time. It's Huber. They pronounce it "Hubber". The "e" at the end give the "u" a different sound. It's vowel grammar, go learn some.

4. They often do not ASK for someone even though they're looking to talk to someone in particular. If I answer the phone, many times the telemarketer will assume that I am my dad.

5. The times of day they call at do NOT make sense. One called today at 8:20 am. My mom had just left for work. Here's how the situation went. Notice that many of the other things I mentioned already happen within the same phone call.

I was about to leave the house to go to school when the phone rang. I picked it up and said hello. The telemarketer started talking to me thinking I was my dad in a country accent (I dont like hicks). I told him that my dad wasnt there and that he was WORKING because it was 8:20 in the freaking morning. He asked for my mom. I said no, they both work, this is way too early.

6. When my parents DO happen to pick up when they call they tell them that we dont want to donate to whatever they're collecting for. But they KEEP CALLING CONTINUOUSLY!



Reasons to actually like telemarketers:

It's very fun to mess with them. Ive noticed that many of them use a compute to dial the phone number. If you've ever picked up the phone and said hello and then heard a pause followed by a noise like someone is picking up a phone, this is what's going on. The computer tells them someone has picked up and they connect with the call. Many times ill just breathe really hard into the reciever and this will trigger the computer and they'll pick up. There are many things one can do at this point:
-Most of the time they'll say "Hello" and ill just sit there and make no noise and see how long they stay on.
-You can mess with them by doing things like talking in an accent, asking them weird questions or pretending like you cant understand what they're trying to tell you.
-If you're in a really bad mood when one of these people calls you I find it acceptable to go off on them. I understand that they are doing a job to try and make a living, but something about this field of work I find repulsive. Not to mention if it's a company or organization that has kept calling over and over. If i notice the same thing on the caller ID a few days in a row, i let them know very rudely that they need to stop calling, especially at times during the day when people work.

Try different techniques when messing with telemarketers. My brother has some good ones. He's pretended to be Japanese, pretended to be violent and insane. Made strange animal noises over the phone, etc.

One of the really great ones that ive done is if you say hello and the telemarketer DOES ask for someone, tell them to hold on and then put the phone down. Go do something else and come back later to see if they're still on. One time I made a sandwich and came back and the telemarketer was still there and I told him, oh, im sorry he's not here.

You probably think im a dick for doing these kinds of things but somehow I dont feel bad for doing these things at all. Probably because these people really annoy me and i never have to see them and i will never have another encounter with them ever.

2 comments:

  1. ways to avoid telemarketers:
    1. don't answer the phone and let it go to the answering machine.
    2. get on a "no-call" list (yes, they exist, everyone I know is on a no-call list)
    3. DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the reasons I dont answer the phone, at my house.

    ReplyDelete

You should definitely comment. Since there's not view count I dont know who/how many are actually reading this.